Tuesday 10 September 2019

Ye Gods ...

Whereas life in Cyprus remains calm and stable, we both look with horror and incredulity at the political situation in the UK. So I’ll remain calm and not mention it until I have reregistered which will enable me to vote in the upcoming General Election. I first voted in 1970 and have voted Conservative ever since but I shall not be voting for the Conservatives on this and subsequent occasions. My vote will go to the Liberal Democrats as they have decided to revoke Article 50.

We were relieved that September brought milder temperatures and then somebody turned the thermostat and the humidity controls up, so we have “hunkered” down and kept cool. Daisy and the cats stay close to home and find the coolest places to snooze. Once the air conditioning is switched on, then they appear to luxuriate in the cool air.

Great fun with Cyta (our telecoms provider) when we decided to increase our internet speed. We decided to increase our speed from 10 Mb to 20 Mb (a steal at an extra €5,00 a month). Ann has discovered YouTube and often streams video when the tv is on. Hence some buffering ... not a problem except when the cricket is on. With the rugby World Cup a couple of weeks away, self-interest dictated an upgrade. All very straightforward except fo the fact that our speed stayed resolutely at 10 Mb. Contacting Cyta then told me I needed a new router to deliver the speed increase. Off to Cyta this morning to exchange the router and I had to explain what the problem was. The helpful lady told me that the speed increase always required a new router. Why hadn’t they told me when I applied? The “Cypriot Shrug” and a beaming smile was the answer. Back home, and after five minutes, we were cooking on gas.

In the Cyta shop we had a lovely example of the laidback lifestyle we love here. An English lady was at the next counter to me and was being dealt with by a very young woman. After a couple of minutes her mobile rang. She answered the phone and began a long conversation in Greek. The irate English woman demanded to know whether the girl was serving her. Wide-eyed the girl looked up and said, “No I am talking to my mother.” At this point I left. You’ve got to love Cyprus.

No comments:

Post a Comment