Thursday 28 May 2020

Yes, Prime Minister?

Ye Gods! I thought I had seen it all until Boris Johnson’s appearance in front of the Parliamentary Liaison Committee yesterday. It was a combination of a master class in obfuscation, combined with an incredible ignorance - rather like the schoolboy who has not done his learning homework. Ann and  I watched with some anger and incredulity at his “performance”, his lack of preparation and his inarticulacy.

It was apparent that - looking at his dead eyes - his illness had knocked all the stuffing out of him. He could neither concentrate nor “think on his feet”. It would be a kindness for him to step down for six months or as long as it takes for him to recover fully. No doubt Michael Gove is in the wings with his stiletto poised.

We decided to have a hand rail installed by the side of our Roman steps that lead into the pool. Bearing in mind Winston Churchill and his “ACTION THIS DAY” approach I went to the local pool shop to talk to Andreas. He showed me the hand rail he sells, and I took photographs for Ann to look at. This morning we went back to the shop for Ann to see the hand rail in real life. Three hours later Andreas arrived to fit them. Not cheap but really worthwhile.

We broke cover for the first time in months on Monday. Ann had her long-awaited appointment (and my goodness what a fabulous cut) with her hairdresser, and afterwards we were driving home along the coast road and I suggested stopping for a cheeky pint. Very cool in the pub garden, with a gentle breeze, and my first taste of Old Speckled Hen in three months. A very pleasant afternoon, with a chat to the landlord who talked about his hopes and fears for the near future. Fingers crossed ...

No comments:

Post a Comment