Tuesday 8 December 2020

A close shave ...

 The ongoing saga of the Royal Mail refusing to send my new electric wet/dry razor to Cyprus because it is a prohibited item has irritated me no end. After spending a considerable amount of money on a new razor (because my old one died), I am now in no man’s land. After a few days my stubble is not “designer” - it just looks a mess. But, with Ann’s help, a temporary solution was found.

Polis has a number of barbers and so I asked on Facebook whether any of them offered a shaving service. It turned out that many of them did, and one barber was recommended over and over. My chum David emailed me and explained where this barber was situated, whether mask wearing  and cleanliness was good, and the quality of the shave.

Idris is a a Turkish Armenian who has set up a barber’s shop. So off I went this morning and was warmly greeted by Idris and his younger Cypriot assistant, who was to shave me. Ten minutes later I was as closely and cleanly shaved as I can remember, hairs on my nose were removed by threading (painlessly) and the spray of cologne was cooling. The cost was eye-watering - a whole €3,00. This was the closest shave I have had since Ann and I went to Goa in 2003. Until my razor eventually arrives from the UK I can see regular visits. What a success!

We have had a busy week so far. Yesterday we had to drive to Paphos to visit the District Court so that Ann could have an affidavit stamped to prove we were married. This was so we could exchange our UK driving licences for Cypriot ones. That requires another visit to the Department of Transport tomorrow in Paphos. If you plan on following in our footsteps don’t make the mistake of having all utility bills in the husband’s name (this is almost automatic here) and have one in the wife’s name. It makes life much easier. On Thursday we travel to Paphos yet again for Ann to see her consultant at the hospital. Roll on Friday.

That should be the final step in ensuring we are legal in Cyprus. Our MEU3 gives us permanent residence here but this can be changed for UK3 once Cyprus sorts that out. Unlike the MEU3, which required a mountain of paperwork, this change only requires the MEU3 form and a current passport. After that I really don’t want to see the inside of a government office again.

No comments:

Post a Comment