Wednesday 7 April 2021

Gentleman’s Relish (Patum Peperium)

 Last Christmas, when we were discussing breakfast, the original suggestion was to have creamy scrambled eggs with anchovies. We love anchovies and the combination was very much to our taste. And then, from the darkest recesses of my memory, I remembered scrambled eggs on toast and the toast was “buttered” (but not with butter) with Gentleman’s Relish. The idea took hold and we searched for it in shops and online.

I posted on Facebook and the ever helpful Catherine Unsworth of https://www.spiceandeasycyprus.com/ came to the rescue. She offered to make a batch and let me be her tester. And so, like a drug deal in a multi-storey car park, we met and the brown paper bag was handed over. I have promised to do a review on this blog (and also on Facebook) with my findings. As I write this, my mouth is salivating.

This is one of the things you find in Cyprus. People, both expats and Cypriots, can overwhelm you with their kindness. In 2013, on Christmas Eve, our car returned home making strange noises and emitting steam. Not being a mechanic I suspected low oil, and rang around people I knew to see if they had any oil. One recently arrived Briton drove around all the petrol stations in Polis to try and source some, with no luck. A Cypriot friend of ours told me not to worry and he would sort things out. Amazingly he arrived on Christmas Day morning, with a mechanic.

They sorted out a temporary repair, decided the car was fit to drive for a few days until garages opened again. I asked Odysseas how much I owed him? He looked offended and would not accept a penny. A couple of days later he arrived in a car, and we took both vehicles to a garage so our car could be repaired. Amazingly generous.

Life in Cyprus can be very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment