Saturday 9 July 2022

To name and shame: that is the question.

 The last forty-eight hours have been amongst the most difficult in our nearly ten years in Cyprus, and we have been affected deeply by these issues of trust and honesty. Throughout my working life, honesty and integrity have been my yardsticks. And so, I am locked on the proverbial horns of a dilemma.

There is a part of me that burns with rage, and I was tempted to flood social media with the name and photograph of the thief. My darling wife, Ann, has persuaded me not to do that. The reason is simple. If the identity of the thief is revealed, her whole family will suffer. It is not their fault in the slightest, and to tar them with the same brush would be inexcusable.

On the other hand many people want to know this young woman’s identity, for their own security. I should imagine people who employ English cleaners feel especially vulnerable. But, at Ann’s behest, I have undertaken not to reveal the identity of this woman online. And my word is my bond.

Regardless of this, I shall be reporting this woman to the police next week, and asking that they take the appropriate action. I would like to see her arrested and charged with theft. A criminal record might just persuade her to see the error of her ways - although I doubt it.

I cannot draw a line under this until due process is followed. It would be disappointing if the police do not proceed.

I trust readers of this blog will understand the reasons behind my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment