Monday 25 June 2018

Let’s hope ...

Let us hope that bad things happen in threes and that is as far as that goes. Whilst having a lovely time with Ann’s sister and her husband, Ann did her best to be the centre of attention. Firstly we all went out for lunch in Latchi, and Ann had one spoonful of her avocado shrimps and was very sick indeed. Obviously a dodgy shrimp. The following day we all went to Steni Market where Ann felt unwell (probably as a result of her previous day’s shenanigans). To cap it all on the very next day she had a fall in the garden (in the same place as I fell a couple of months ago) and was somewhat battered and bruised.

I’m happy to report that she is much better and she bore her injuries with stoicism. But, as I have told her, “Enough is enough” and I have threatened her with a stiffly-worded memorandum if she transgresses again.

We had a lovely evening out a couple of days ago, and were invited round to a bbq. The house was lovely, the company more than acceptable and the atmosphere was fun. But the food was bloody awful. T-bone and rump steaks, and ribs, were barbecued. They were tough and gristly, and we had to struggle through them with smiles on our faces. The highlight of the evening came after I felt that every insect in Polis had been invited to a party on my legs. I was suffering and our host and his other guests suggested “tiger balm”. It was produced and I was told to rub it where I had been bitten. It comes in a little jar about an inch tall and smells of Vick’s Vapour Rub (and can be rubbed into the chest as well).

Well, after five minutes, I was not impressed despite everyone telling me how marvellous the stuff was. And then, miraculously, the itching stopped and I was then very impressed indeed. Apparently it is on sale in Paphos and, when we visit this week, it will be high on our shopping list. It can, apparently, be used for pain relief as well ...

In any event, enough of this doom and gloom. The weather is set fair and that is always a great feeling. At the end of last week I used the UK government’s beta software to apply for my passport online. Ann took my photograph with my iPad and in a few minutes all was completed. The photograph was cropped to the correct dimensions in front of my eyes, and the whole things took about ten minutes and that was mainly because I had to unearth my old passport and then my bank card to pay. Very impressive and it may suggest that the UK may be about to enter the 21st Century.

The soccer World Cup has proved a distraction to the country, and a welcome one at that. Although we are not in the least bit interested in soccer it is fun to see the glee and excitement of people after all the months of doom and gloom caused by Brexit. I still cannot believe the sheer amateurism and lack of competence showed by politicians across the whole spectrum of government. Can they really be jockeying for position - and to hell with the people - at such a time? I fear so and I despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment