Saturday 28 February 2015

Lead us not into temptation ...

On Monday, Clean Monday in Cyprus, I was accused of being Satanic by tempting David and Letitia from Gracie Towers to join us for a drink in Polis. I beguilingly said that, as a public holiday, it was an extension to the weekend (the only time they apparently drink alcohol). Five minutes' later they joined us at Saddles, where we enjoyed a lovely afternoon. I assume the five minutes was the time they spent wrestling with their consciences. Imagine my surprise when David suggested the devil was alive and well, and living in Argaka.

It was good to catch up with them but I have carefully looked in the mirror in case my horns are visible.

Well another February 28th arrives and that must mean it is my birthday (again), and I must be careful not to tempt anyone to do anything against their better judgement. Ann has been working non-stop in the kitchen to produce a lunch worthy of such an august occasion. For the last two years we have lunched out with friends and this year decided to entertain at home. The curry has been bubbling away and filling our house with temptation, and I have just been invited to sample the popadums. Delicious.

I can't imagine a better way to spend my birthday, surrounded by good friends in the comfort of our own home. I met Ann when I was 49, and we celebrated my 50th birthday in some considerable style in Devon. Never could we have dreamed that at the age of 59 we would move out to Cyprus, and live the life we are living. Every birthday with Ann has been extra-special in its own way. My 60th was our first here and just so good. In fact, every year spent with Ann has been special. It would not be an understatement to say that the last twelve years have been the happiest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment