Tuesday 13 March 2018

30,000 + Page Views

I never considered, when I started this blog about our life in Cyprus, that many people would stop by and read my musings. But they have and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. This blog is an outlet for my irritation with politics and politicians, and I hope an insight into what it means to go and live permanently in another country.

I still remember my finger hovering over the "Buy" button on the EasyJet website where we planned to buy two "one way" tickets to Cyprus. Only a few weeks later, with our apartment in Bexhill echoing after the removal men had finished and all our worldly goods were heading for the container to be shipped here, we sat and looked out over a cold, grey English Channel. Twenty-four hours later we were sitting in 28°C under the palm trees at Paphos Airport, completing the paperwork for our hire car. The adventure had begun.

And now, five and a half years later, we will soon be applying for "permanent residence" here (Form MEU3). Who would have thought it? We should have just been pottering about our daily lives if the huddled masses had not voted for Brexit. I still cannot quite believe it. Self-harm on an epic scale will be committed and the UK will be much the poorer for generations to come.

Will others be able to follow in our footsteps? Perhaps they will, but it will not be straightforward and it will be at the whim of those bloody politicians. We moved here simply, and it was our legal right to do so. Quo vadis?

No comments:

Post a Comment